Survivors

Survivors

Thursday, April 25, 2024

Alias

 

Steve King ©2024

All rights reserved

 

 

I know you only as an alias,

Some stranger’s voice that bundles every dream.

When speak you must, I must be listening;

When you will sigh, I tend to that desire,

A strangeness, far from old imaginings

Which once could promise comfort, conjure ease.

 

Prisoning dreams may flee, yet steal their times,

Let rush rough sands through every passing hour.

Each hollowed moment turns eternity,

While aspiration levels to the core,

Like feathers falling slowly from the sun.

 

The broken measure comes to me,

A voice once meant to nurture old repose:

Withheld too long to keep its meaning plain,

Too soon for answers I’ve not yet composed.

 

I must imagine true, or must deny

This alias, forever alibi.

11 comments:

  1. Nice to see you link up Steve, it was a long time. I read your poem over and over and felt that connection almost like some of the poets who write as alias, and i really love the last line of an alias as alibi. accept it or deny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bjorn. A pleasure to be back.

      Delete
  2. there is a strong a poetic voice to this poem and a joy to read aloud. So many lovely lines and subtle refences "Like feathers falling slowly from the sun." is surely the over aspiring Icarus

    ReplyDelete
  3. As one of the masked, the alias for me puts my personal history in the background to allow the myth (or whatever's collective) to to speak. How well the ruse works over time I have no idea, but surely the eye-holes get wispy, the string loose, the guise gets a bit cockeyed. And how long can anyone speak truly for the dead? Beats me. Great to see you again in the fray, Steve, you've been missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brendan. It’s great to be here again.

      Delete
  4. Thoughtful writing and especially like how you concluded it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to read you again Steve. The last 2 lines hits me square in the face. One can say the alias is always an alibi, but really it might me with the poetic voice. But there is always a comfort or ease, when the poetic voice connects with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautifully crafted, thought-provoking verse. The concluding lines are excellent.

    ReplyDelete