Survivors

Survivors

Thursday, June 6, 2024

Such As We

 

©2024 Steve King

All rights reserved

 

 

Recount my name for anyone who might remember me.

My pleasures gathered from afar, though not all agonies.

 

I seize my memories as dreams; desires as things of old,

But I remember every touch and promises gone cold.

 

And just to feel this hand again undoes one ancient pain,

Though well I know a second hence, I lose you once again.

 

I won’t retrace forgotten paths that left you far from me,

But I’ll embrace all moments now that once held such as we.

11 comments:

  1. Steven, I felt that poem more than read it. Great title that is almost like a sentence by its content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pardon on the name, Steve (not Steven, although your name may be Steven!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm Stephen really, but always go by Steve.

      Delete
  3. I like the pace and rhyming couplets in this poem, Steve, and the idea of remembering ‘every touch and promises gone cold’. Touch, holding hands, hugging, are so important for people of all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love songs rhyme the heart, and the art of this is measured, honest, humble and soon free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steve, I enjoyed this poem - tender lyrical truths openly expressed - both sweet and sour counterpoints... Very much as life is...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful poem, Steve, filled with sweet longing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last lines are a beautiful promise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautifully sad! Perhaps dreams and memories are interchangeable. But, I think its the touch the connection that fills the heart with longing - Truedessa

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is heartfelt and beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete